Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ever-so-cheap bunting


















We recently had a couple birthdays in the family and my usual stash of banners and decorations had seen better days.
I thought, "Hey, bunting is really cute. I think I'll make my own."

It was incredibly easy. Oh so easy.

And cheap? It cost me zero dollars. 

I already had the raffia on hand, so that would have otherwise cost a little something, but you can use whatever is around the house, such as curly ribbon--anything you can form into a long strip.

The raffia strands weren't very long to start, so I just tied them together. The long strip was then hung. The whole thing is so light I was able to just tuck the ends under some photos on the mantle.

Next I cut 13 diamond shapes from some brown shipping wrap--one for each letter in "happy birthday."
Then the diamond shapes were folded in half.
The letters printed quick-as-a-wink and I cut them out and glued one on each half diamond triangle.

Next, the diamonds were hung on the raffia strip. A tuft of raffia separated "happy" from "birthday" so the words didn't run together.

It wasn't fireplace season quite yet, so I didn't worry about my decor catching fire...but yeah...be careful about hanging paper things in front of fireplaces.   :)
Snipping and gluing--so much fun!! 

This post was shared on these neighborly sites:
Mad in Crafts 
Flour Me With Love 
Creating my way to Success  
Vintage Wanna Bee
Adventures of a DIY Mom
Growing Home Blog  

No comments:

Post a Comment