How about cranking out some strawberry tuxedos!
These chocolate-covered treats are super easy and frugal, too!
CandiQuick or chocolate bark
Smidge of royal icing (recipe to follow)
Food coloring or paste
- Wash and dry the strawberries.
- Melt chocolate in microwave according to directions.
- Dip strawberries into chocolate. Let dry.
- Prepare some royal icing (a really thick powdered sugar and water icing might suffice).
- Using a spoon, piping bag or bottle, paint a white "shirt" onto each berry.
- Add red or pink coloring to leftover icing.
- After the berry's "clothes" are dry, dot on a bow tie and some buttons, using a toothpick.
OK, here's the royal icing recipe:
3 tablespoons of meringue powder
(found in the cake decorating department)
4 cups of powdered sugar, preferably sifted
6 tablespoons of warm water
Beat ingredients in a mixer for about 7 minutes. Add more water during this step if the icing seems too stiff.
You're sure to receive a sticky smooch for your Valentine tuxedo efforts!
P.S. I originally posted this recipe on our previous website, sccworlds.com. It also appeared in our newspaper, Home Matters. This is my original work and photo (just so ya know). :) --- Kris
Shared on these neighborly websites:
A Cat-Like Curiosity
Creating My Way to Success
Mad in Crafts
Flour Me with Love
Adventures of a DIY Mom
Learning the Frugal Life
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
On twitter, too: